William Blum took a bit of a break, between May and November of this year, from writing his monthly “Anti-Empire Reports,” citing his frustration of feeling like he was always saying the same things about the same U.S. imperial actions and nothing ever changing. At least that’s my paraphrase of what I remember his reasons were – it doesn’t appear to be on the site and I guess I deleted the email. But anyway, he is again writing them and all anti-imperialists and people who don’t desire endless war should thank him because his voice is immeasurably important on this issue. In November, based on “about 30 years compiling the details of the criminal record of US foreign policy”, he provided readers with these lists of things the U.S. has done since World War II (as well as lots of great commentary about other things):
- Attempted to overthrow more than 50 foreign governments, most of which were democratically-elected.
- Dropped bombs on the people of more than 30 countries.
- Attempted to assassinate more than 50 foreign leaders.
- Attempted to suppress a populist or nationalist movement in 20 countries.
- Grossly interfered in democratic elections in at least 30 countries. [citing Chapter 18 of his book Rogue State]
- Plus … although not easily quantified … more involved in the practice of torture than any other country in the world … for over a century … not just performing the actual torture, but teaching it, providing the manuals, and furnishing the equipment.